Thursday, January 26, 2006

Seeing red!

Part I - New Bike!
Just bought a second-hand road bike from a seller who advertised on togoparts this evening - It is a vibrant red Fondriest frame with Campagnolo veloce groupset. Though it is 3 years old, has rust on some of the screws and oxidised marks on other parts, the frame's paintwork is gorgeous, the brand is good and so are the parts. Parted $1.3K for it, but then will have more investing to do now...on shoes, helmet, gloves, lights, lock(s) etc...


Part II - First Crash
I crashed it on my first ride, along the short >5km route from Cycleworx at Upper Thomson to AMK! It was my first ride on a road bike since I was 14 i think; at first a bit tentative with the feel but never approaching any nervousness, then confident and feeling exuberant joy at the speed. 1 km away from my place, I went onto the aerobars, then did my habitual traffic check with a turn of the head. Upon turning back forward, I was suddenly hit with a feeling of instability and loss of control on the front wheels, and my corrective movements with my elbows stuck at the bars only made it worse. As the bike skidded and I landed on my right side, I realised that looking out for traffic behind is not something to be done when down on the aerobars.

So. All in an hour, I got a beautiful bike, a good lesson, and patches of road rashes to show for it. One on my right hip made hip flexion tedious, and so I hobble around like Terry Fox now. The one on my elbow will probably make badminton difficult, and dance classes is out of the question for now. Oh well. Still worth the pain, all in all :p

4 comments:

Alex Wong said...

Yo bro, hope ya feeling alright. :)

See la... buy new toy liao! Go get a pair of blades!! Haha... or come over and borrow my old one!

Anonymous said...

hahaha.... welcome to the gang yh!! suddenly everyone at paddleculture wants to get a bike... =) but be careful alright... lets ride sometime....

Anonymous said...

Dance classes?! Classical ballet, contemporary or what??

Wolfie said...

Alex - Yup, will visit you some day try out your blades!

Enric - Was thinking why PC people all having bikes now too haha, but it's good la. Can do something else except paddling there next time!

Roland - PE dance classes are for us to learn to teach students! So nothing technical...just folk dances and line and cha cha etc. But even these are showing up my 2 left foot already...