Thursday, February 16, 2006

Different schools of thought

Back in my NUS days, the days went by like a breeze. Lessons were only tolerated till play time, followed by an intense sleepless period of assignment writing, a short cramming period, then the exams. Though I was never late for any essay deadlines, I was as slack as anyone can be in school, most of my energy being expended on sports and ODAC stuff.

It's rather a culture shock to be in NIE and seeing people working diligently everywhere. The stories were that NIE is a place for post-grads to slack, as there's no pressure to perform well and that it's just a matter of getting the work done.

But no...I remember I nearly died last sem from stress, unused as I was to being hunted down for project meeting one after another just by sitting in the canteen, when previously NUS canteen time was for pure idling and literary insider jokes. I played games so hard till I have to give up, and still have to contend with the academic work, not to mention being stressed out by the studiousness of people around me. I'm really amazed by most of the PESS cohort people for having so much enthusiasm for any work given to them, and it makes me feel quite out of place with my slack mentality ha.

This academic semester has been very easy on me, and I'm grateful for it. Time is never enough for all the things that I will like to do however - first things first, and the interests close to my heart will always be foremost in priorities. I still have a vehement hatred of group projects too.

No comments: