Monday, February 06, 2006

The mantle of leadership

What will you do in these situations when there is a call for a leader to step forward?
  1. You're as clueless as everyone about the situation and the task - what will make you go forward?
  2. If most of the people in group knows something about the task and you're one of the clueless one, will you take a step backward and relinquish the chance to learn?
  3. If you are the only one in the know and the rest of the group are not, will you step out to 'help' the situation, or will you try to let someone lead and learn from the process?
  4. From 3 - what if no one wants to come forward to try being a leader? Will you just do it for the sake of saving everyone, and let the rest hide behind your expertise?
Complicated scenarios, to which I have no answers to often. I ask these questions because I faced dilemma number 3 and 4 recently. Personally, I felt that there's no point with me taking a key role in an outdoor camp committee as others will have more to learn from the experience and I might well turn dictatorial when it comes to decisions, basing them on my past experiences and not budging on opinions unless someone can prove them misguided. But it seems that I have overestimated the capacity of the PE cohort to simultaneously have a strong interest to learn, and to take the brave step of stepping up to be a leader. And if eventually I will be relied on, and I know I will try my best to help when asked, shouldn't I just as well take the leading role?

What will you do?

No comments: