Wednesday, February 08, 2006

Teaching effort

During the time when I was actively coaching recreational kayakers at PC, I made an effort of thinking about the lesson plan and schedule, and as time goes by I will make mental notes of learning points and assimilate them into subsequent lessons. I read and do research on technical information online and in books, tried out different disciplines and tried to make linkages between them to compare and contrast the uses of strokes and equipments in different contexts.

And for all my preparations, sometimes there will be days when a shortage of equipment or unfavourable weather ruin my plans for the class, making me feeling extremely unsatisfied, knowing that although the participants are often not aware of it, I have shortchanged them in some way because I cannot give them as much as I will like to.

Now this feeling is coming back as I think of my lesson plans for my upcoming microteaching sessions with a secondary school class - it's just damn hard to let 20 students learn badminton seriously within 2 badminton court area. Either they are stuck with mostly static activities, or I have to devise different sets of activities that will run concurrently opposite each other so that facility space can be given to each group at different times. Stuck at thinking of these activities for them, I shudder to think of managing 40 students by myself next time.

I really want to give my all to my future students; I only hope I eventually proved to have the aptitude to achieve that.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

To be a good teacher, you have to learn to be a good student first? :)