Thursday, March 02, 2006

Review: Qian Zhou's Violin Recital

Just came back from Qian Zhou's recital at the VCH - wasn't a very satisfying night at all, though a good outing overal for the evening. The last I heard her I was thoroughly disgusted by how she tore through the ethereal scales of Beethoven's violin concerto like a brash bully trashing the piece into utter submission. Seeing that the romantics dominated today's programme, I decided the result will probably be more acceptable and palatable for my taste.

The first prelude played out of the ten she choosed from Shostakovich piano preludes made it plain that she is definitely out to stamp her volatile personality onto the music tonight. After fairly tearing through the preludes, Faure's sonata was up next, and even her opinionated rendition of the piece wasn't able to mask the dullness of it all. Brahms was of course the better composer, though he didn't benefitted from Qian Zhou playing his Scherzo movement in the roughest manner I have ever heard anywhere. His third sonata was surprisingly well done though, the playing more restrained and tempered as necessary, but then I actually preferred his two previous sonatas to start with.

Really, I'm not that hard to please...I just need someone to tell her to stop fudging running notes into a sharp glissando as a show of urgency, and to calm that temper down, that's all...

No comments: