Monday, March 13, 2006

Revisiting the Annapurna circuit

I was digging around my shelves for some certificates yesterday night and chanced upon one of my old journal notebook, which I used mainly to write about my Annapurna trek in Nepal when I went there in 2002.


I don't think I described each day in its meticulous details, but whatever that was written on the pages were enough for me to recall every single day of the almost month-long trek in vivid images. I read and remembered the people we met, the food we ate (with some recipes written down also), and some of the thoughts evoked by the experience there. Long list of detailed accounts, presents list, do's and don'ts tips (in case I make the same silly mistakes again) and even a to-do list of things pending my attention when I get back to civilization.

It was like revisiting a wholly different past life... a month of nothing but spending time with self and nature and close friends. It showed me that life can (and should) have different priorities than the accumulation of wealth, and that the exploration of terra incognito is also at the same time the exploration of the self.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice...! ;)

Alex Wong said...

Wow, I certainly don't have the discipline to journal my trips during the trips themselves! Its a brillant way to record the experience though.

For me, its the pictures or video that helps me to relive the times. Must admit that taking photos and videos can also mean that it takes you away from the experience.... needs balance these things.

Wolfie said...

Haha...I am never particular about my shots on trips...might be missing out on nice views but then again it's all in my mind. A journal is a must have! Particularly when there's so much free time to write there...