Wednesday, December 27, 2006

New wheels!

I've just got new wheels! Reputed to be of very good quality, and costs a small sum of $350, they are quite a steal. Ah...I can't wait to try them.


I picked them up from a little shop space in Little India, and after that I had dinner at 'Komala Vilas' just outside at the main road. It brought back carefree memories of my younger days, when as a sec sch kid me and my best friend Wenjin will go to Rex complex there to play pool frequently and once, we ate at that exact same place, marvelling at the huge ball of dough that the 'bhattura' was. The food is still good, and I stuffed myself with ghee masala dosai, a samosa plate, and masala tea (which I always have to remind me of the days trekking in Annapurna, Nepal.


On the way to the train station, I went by many jewellery stalls, those which caters to the Indian community and mostly didn't bother with stocking precious stones and pretty baubles, just pure illustrious gold. At the stairways, I saw two elderly Indian women sitting on the floor displaying (what I think is fake) gold chains out for sale too. I was hit with a truism of the capitalist economy upon the sight - we price gold and jewellery only because people think it's pretty and it happens to be rare. It's actual 'practical' value is almost zilch - what exactly is gold good for anyway? It doesn't gives us health nor is helpful for any purpose except to show off wealth. Then, if it only has show value, what's the problem with wearing fake gold (since no one will know anyway)

No comments: